The death of 13 children in Bangladesh has been linked to the use of a pesticide known as Endosulfan, which was routinely applied in a nearby “Lychee Tree” orchard.
Officials attributed the deaths to lychee seeds, which contain toxins, and they noted the deaths of small children throughout India and Asia who had been exposed to the fruit.
However a recent study, published in American Journal of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene, concluded that excessive and improper application of insecticides to a Lychee Orchard near where the children lived is the actual culprit.
The investigation suggested the seeds could not have been the deadly reason, because the seeds are not eaten in Bangladesh! The deaths occurred at the time when lychee was being harvested and consumed across Bangladesh. The diseased children lived adjacent to or within 10 meters of the lychee orchard.
Because of its tendency to bio accumulate in wildlife that humans consume and its role as a hormone disruptor, a global ban of endosulfan was negotiated @ the Stockholm Convention in 2011.
Peoples living in the community told the investigators that sometimes the spraying was so heavy it became difficult to stay in their houses and that the smell would linger for hours.
The parents of the intoxicated children almost uniformly reported hearing sharp cries from their children, followed by a loss of consciousness within 2 hours and death within 20 hours.
GMO crops treated with pesticides generally do not harm the agricultural products, but it might kill the consumers when applied in large dosages.
Mint Press-News.com / Crickey-Conservation-Society.