Arab League blames Israeli Settlement Expansion for Undermining Peace in Middle East

Global Economic Security

Battlefield - West Bank

The Arab League chief has protested against Israel’s plan to build new settler units in occupied East Jerusalem al-Quds, saying such land grab policies, which defy UN resolution, undermine peace in the Middle East.

The East Jerusalem al-Quds municipality issued permits on Wednesday to add 176 units in Israel’s Nof Zion settlement, surrounded by the Palestinian district of Jabal Mukaber.

Responding to the move, Arab League Secretary General Ahmed Aboul Gheit said during a press conference on Thursday that the Tel Aviv regime had to choose between settlement expansion and peace.

He said the planned settlements were in breach of the UN Security Council 2334, which calls on Israel to “immediately and completely cease all settlement activities in the occupied Palestinian territories, including East Jerusalem” al-Quds and the West Bank.

While Palestinians consider East Jerusalem al-Quds as the capital of their future state, the Israeli regime regards the whole of Jerusalem as its indivisible capital.

Last week, Israeli officials approved the construction of more than 2.600 additional units in settlements across the West Bank as well.

The announcement was met with criticism criticism from the EU, which warned that any settlement activity pushed farther back the prospect of a lasting peace.

About 600.000 Israeli’s live in over 230 different 230 illegal settlements built since the 1967 occupation of the Palestinian territories of the West Bank and East Jerusalem al-Quds.

The Israeli anti-settlement group, Peace Now, says that the Israeli regime “has opened all the floodgates when it comes to settlement developments within “Palestinina neighborhoods.”

PressTV.com / AA Magnum Analyst Blog News Site 2017.

Leave a Reply