The US military reported that one of its commando’s was killed and three others got wounded during a raid in Yemen targeting government and Houthi forces, fighting for freedom in the Middle East.
The hostile military raid left 30 people dead, including women and children. One of the children killed was Nora, the 8-year old daughter of Anwar al-Awlaki, a Yemeni-American cleric killed in an US airstrike in Yemen in 2011.
The US Central Command said in a statement that one of its soldiers was injured in a hard landing in a nearby location. The raid was approved by the new US president, Donald Trump. An online news service in Yemen said security forces killed three senior Al-Qaeda members helping out the US coalition forces.
US warplanes were first seen in the sky above the area on Saturday. The military raid began just after midnight on Sunday morning, with 16 missiles hitting three houses near Yakla village in Radaa district. A two-hour gun battle developed after the American soldiers landed to kill 30 Yemeni citizens during the hostile raid.
American forces were ordered to assist the Saudi attacks on Yemen in an attempt to secure the Red Sea oil shipment passage that is used to deliver oil to Europe and Asia. The other shipping lane for Saudi oil to reach Western markets and households is the Strait of Hormuz, before leaving the Persian Gulf.
The killed and wounded included some Saudi’s present at the site. The Americans captured and departed with at least two individuals on Sunday. Al Qaeda in the Arabian peninsula are long seen as Washington allies in the war seizing Yemeni territory in the south and east, supported by American destroyer gunships ruling the Red Sea.
The war began in 2014, when Shi’ite Houthi rebel freedom fighters and their allies swept down from the north and recaptured the capital Sanaa. Since then a so-called Saudi military coalition has been helping the USA and Al Qaeda battle the Yemeni forces for nearly two years.
AP / AA Magnum News 2017.